- Worship times
- Map and directions
- What to expect
- For your kids
- What we believe
- Meet our staff
We offer a contemporary service at 9:30am led by our band, and at 11am we have a more traditional style worship with full choir and orchestra. Bible Study classes take place during both hours for adults. Our children have a worship KidRally at 9:30am and Bible Study at 11am. Many of our students attend the 9:30am service with their families and then meet for Bible Study in the Student Building building across Amherst Street at 11am. There is nursery care for infant through 4 years old all morning.
Please stop by the welcome desk to get more information about classes, directions around the building, or grab a cup of coffee. After the service please come say hello to the pastor at our Guest Reception so we can give you a small gift and have a chance to meet you.
We also have a Chinese speaking service (West U Chinese Church) at 10:50am that meets across Milton Street in the West U Community Center, and an English/Spanish bi-lingual service that meets at our Crosspoint Campus (4601 Bellaire Blvd) at 1:30pm (Iglesia Crosspoint).
Getting to West U
We're located in the heart of West U. Our building is one block north of University Blvd and West U City Hall, and just across Auden Street from the baseball fields and West U Elementary School.
6218 Auden St, Houston TX, 77005.
• 9:30 am Contemporary Service
•11:00 am Traditional Style Worship Service
• 9:30 and 11:00 am Bible Study. Click here for more information.
• KidRally at 9:30
• Kid's Bible Study at 11
• 11am Student Bible Study in the Student Building building across Amherst Street at 11am. Click here for more information.
• Nursery care for infant through 4 years old all morning.
For Your Kids
KidRally is a special kid-friendly worship time at 9:30 led by Mr. Dave (our West U Children's Pastor) and his team. KidRally meets in the gym for children ages 5 to 5th grade. There is always a great combination of kid-style music, fun, and teaching from God's Word.
Nursery care is provided all morning for infant through 4 years of age. We have wonderful paid staff so your children see the same teachers each week. Even very young children can learn that Jesus loves them, so an age-appropriate teaching curriculum is offered during Sunday School.
Kid's Bible Study is offered every Sunday morning during the 11:00 service. Children meet in grade divided groups and have great teaching, crafts and music.
KidStuff is our Children's Ministry and includes our Sunday morning activities as well as all events and programming throughout the year. Click here for more information.
What We Believe
• God is the Creator and Ruler of the universe. He has eternally existed in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are co-equal and are one God. (Genesis 1:1,26,27; Psalm 90:2; Matthew 28:19; I Peter 1:2; II Corinthians 13:14)
• Man is made in the spiritual image of God, to be like Him in character. He is the supreme object of God’s creation. Although man has tremendous potential for good, he is marred by an attitude of disobedience toward God called “sin.” This attitude separates man from God. (Genesis 1:27; Psalm 8:3-6; Isaiah 53:6a, 59:1 2; Romans 3:23)
• Man was created to exist forever. He will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or in union with God, through forgiveness and salvation. To be eternally separated from God is Hell. To be eternally in union with Him is eternal life. Heaven and Hell are places of eternal existence. (John 3:16; I John 2:25; 5:11-13; Romans 6:23; Revelation 20:15)
• Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is co-equal with the Father. Jesus lived a sinless human life and offered Himself as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all men by dying on a cross. He arose from the dead after three days to demonstrate His power over sin and death. He ascended to Heaven’s glory and will return again to earth to reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. (Matthew 1:22-23; Isaiah 9:6; John 1:1-5; 14:10-30; Hebrews 4:14-15; I Corinthians 15:3-4; Romans 1:3-4; Acts 1:9-11; I Timothy 6:14-15; Titus 2:13)
• Salvation is a gift from God to man. Man can never make up for his sin by self-improvement or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God’s offer of forgiveness can man be saved from sin’s penalty. Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his life by faith. (Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-9; John 1:12, 14:6; Titus 3:5; Galatians 3:26; Romans 5:1)
• Because God gives man eternal life through Jesus Christ, the believer is secure in that salvation for eternity. Salvation is maintained by the grace and power of God, not by the self-effort of the Christian. It is the grace and keeping power of God that gives this security. (John 10:29; II Timothy 1:12; Hebrews 7:25; 10:10-14; I Peter 1:3-5)
• The Holy Spirit is equal with the Father and the Son as God. He is present in the world to make men aware of their need for Jesus Christ. He also lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation. He provides the Christian with power for living, understanding of spiritual truth, and guidance in doing what is right. The Christian seeks to live under His control daily. (II Corinthians 3:17; John 16:7-13; 14:16-17; Acts 1:8; I Corinthians 2:12; 3:16; Ephesians 1:13; Galatians 5:25; Ephesians 5:18)
• The Bible is God’s Word to all men. It was written by human authors under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and living. Because it is inspired by God, it is truth without any mixture of error. (II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:20-21; II Timothy 1:13; Psalm 119:105,160; 12:6; Proverbs 30:5)
• A New Testament church is an autonomous local congregation of baptized believers, associated by covenant in the faith and fellowship of the gospel; exercising the gifts, rights, and privileges invested in them by the Bible, and seeking to extend the gospel to the ends of the earth. (Matthew 16:15-19; 28:18 20; Acts 2:41-42,47; Ephesians 3:8-11,21; Colossians 1:18; 1 Peter 5:1-4)
• God has ordained the family as the foundational institution of human society. Marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman in covenant commitment for a lifetime. It is God’s unique gift to reveal the union between Christ and His church and to provide for the man and the woman in marriage the framework for intimate companionship, the channel of sexual expression according to biblical standards, and the means for procreation of the human race. Children, from the moment of conception, are a blessing and heritage from the Lord. Parents are to teach their children spiritual and moral values and to lead them to make choices based on biblical truth. Children are to honor and obey their parents. (Genesis 2:18-25; Exodus 20:12; Deuteronomy 6:4-9; Psalm 139:13-16; Proverbs 22:6; Matthew 5:31-32; 19:3-9; Romans 1:18-32; 1 Corinthians 7:1-16; Ephesians 5:21-33; Colossians 3:18-21)
Meet Our Staff
Roger and his wife Julee have been at West University Baptist since 1997. They have two boys, Brady Jackson and Cooper Grayson, and one daughter Carson Claire, who are the joy of their lives. Roger received his doctorate degree (Doctor of Ministry) from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, his Master's of Divinity from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1998 and his Bachelor of Arts in Christianity and Speech from Houston Baptist University in 1995. Roger began his time here as the Minister to Students in 1997, and then in 1999 was named Associate Pastor. That role had many responsibilities, including staff and facility administration, strategic planning, construction management, and preaching/teaching. In May of 2009, Roger accepted the call to become the next Senior Pastor of West U Baptist and Crosspoint Church. He loves playing basketball and golf, but most of all he loves spending time with his family.
Click here to view our full staff.
West U Baptist enjoys a robust Senior Adult ministry composed of individuals and couples in the 55+ age range. We’re some of the "youngest" seniors you’ll ever meet because of the caring community and active programs we enjoy at WUBC. We hope you'll join us soon. Scroll down to find out about our Sunday School Class offerings as well as all our activities and trips.
Senior Adult Minister: Chuck Oak, 713-668-2319
Secretary for Senior Adults: Nancy Copeland, 713-295-2161
Vacation Bible School
Every year our senior adults have their own week of Vacation Bible School. We will meet in the Crosspoint Church Gym from August 13-16 from 9-11:45am. It is a great time of fellowship, learning from the Word, crafts, food, and music. We would love for you to attend and we are always looking for helping hands to volunteer. There is no charge, but advanced registration is preferred. Call Nancy 713-295-2161 or click here to e-mail.
Sunday Bible Study
The Fellowship Bible Class is a group of men and women who love Bible Study and warm fellowship. They meet in the Fowler Chapel. There is a minimum of 30 minutes of in-depth Bible Study, one book at a time.
Teachers: Connie Harper and Juanita Wilson
The Rebekah Class is made up of about 20 senior women. They are truly cheerleaders for Christ as well as for each other. Their support through faith and prayer is exceeded only by the love and comfort they have received in their daily walk with the Lord ---and a sense of humor is a must for any new recruit coming into the class. The Rebekah class meets once a month for fellowship at a class meeting.
Teacher: Doris Eby; President: Ruth Erwin; Secretary: Allean Stephens
The King's Men Class is a dedicated, faithful group of senior men who continually seek a better understanding of God's word through in-depth Bible Study. The King's Men Class is involved in various mission projects in addition to those supported through the church. Most of our projects are one-time events whenever a special need exists, but one is a regular monthly donation to GuideStone. GuideStone provides supplemental income to pastors who retire without the benefit of a Pension Plan. In addition, we utilize an effective Prayer Network, sharing prayer requests and other vital information to all our active and homebound members.
Teacher: Leonard Radionoff
The King's Purpose Class consists of Singles and married Couples mostly in their 70's. The class meets in the Fowler Chapel. This is a class that loves each other, prays and studies the Bible together and ministers to those in time of physical or emotional needs.
Teachers: Fred Goree, Patty Dreessen, Bertha Rodriguez, and Mary Munsen; Director: Louise McLarty
Activites and Events
The Prime Time Singers: If you want to have a frolicking, fun filled morning, just visit the Prime Time Singers rehearsal. We meet every Thursday 9:45 - 11:30am in the Chapel at West University Baptist Church. All of our concerts and rehearsals are on Thursdays. Organized in 1981, the group consists of singers over the age of 55 years. Although most members are from WUBC, we welcome any seniors who enjoy singing and are active in other churches. As well, we now have a band with the choir and are always recruiting new members. The Prime Time Singers minister through their music with performances in nursing and retirement homes and at community events. They sing music from Broadway musicals like Oklahoma and the original programs like “Texas, our Texas” as well as the old hymns, gospel songs and Patriotic music. Don't miss out on the fun. Give it a try!
The Travelin’ Saints is a group of seniors who enjoy traveling together on day trips to new and interesting places. Once a month they take a trip to places such as the Bush Library or Santa’s Wonderland in College Station, the Ship Channel Tour, Martha’s Bloomers and the World War II Museum. Each trip requires a minimum of 10 people to participate so the Harris County Precinct Bus can be used to provide our transportation. Call Vic Heath (713-703-3922) or Nancy Copeland (713-295-2161) for information on upcoming trips.
The Seniors enjoy various parties throughout the year such as a SUPER BOWL PARTY or a VALENTINE'S PARTY. The Super Bowl Party is is usually held the Monday BEFORE the big Super Bowl Game. Football trivia, Fight Songs and other games are enjoyed by all. A light lunch is also served. You may even win a “Super Bowl Ring!” The Valentine's Party is a fun event where we try to guess who the people are in the "young" pictures.
Senior Game Day is on the second Monday of the month in the Fowler Chapel. Bring your cards, dominoes and a sack lunch for fun and fellowship. Contact Wanda Odom (713-665-7270) for more information.
Join us for our annual Senior Adult Christmas Party in the Crosspoint Gym typically on the second Saturday in December. There are always special performances, music, laughs and gifts galore! Guests are welcome. Beginning in November, please call Nancy Copeland (713-295-2161) to make a reservation, get a ride, or request a meal to be delivered to the home bound.