- Worship times
- Map and directions
- What to expect
- For your kids
- What we believe
- Meet our staff
We offer a contemporary service at 9:30am and a traditional one at 11am. Bible Study also takes places during those hours.
We also have a Chinese speaking service (West U Chinese Church) at 10:50am and a bi-lingual service at our Crosspoint Campus at 1:30pm (Iglesia Crosspoint.)
Getting to West U
We're located in the heart of West U, one block north of University Blvd. and West U city hall, and just across Auden Street from the baseball fields and West U Elementary, at 6218 Auden St, Houston TX, 77005.
For Your Kids
KidRally is a special kid-friendly worship time at 9:30. For parents who attend the Encounter Worship Service at 9:30. There is always a great combination of kid-style music, fun, and teaching from God's Word. (Nursery care is provided for younger children.)
Kid's Bible Study is offered every Sunday morning at 11:00.
Child Care for children ages birth through 3 years is provided during all Sunday morning programming. Even very young children can learn that Jesus loves them, so an age-appropriate teaching curriculum is offered during Sunday School.
KidStuff is our Children's Ministry. Click here for more information.
What We Believe
• God is the Creator and Ruler of the universe. He has eternally existed in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are co-equal and are one God. (Genesis 1:1,26,27; Psalm 90:2; Matthew 28:19; I Peter 1:2; II Corinthians 13:14)
• Man is made in the spiritual image of God, to be like Him in character. He is the supreme object of God’s creation. Although man has tremendous potential for good, he is marred by an attitude of disobedience toward God called “sin.” This attitude separates man from God. (Genesis 1:27; Psalm 8:3-6; Isaiah 53:6a, 59:1 2; Romans 3:23)
• Man was created to exist forever. He will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or in union with God, through forgiveness and salvation. To be eternally separated from God is Hell. To be eternally in union with Him is eternal life. Heaven and Hell are places of eternal existence. (John 3:16; I John 2:25; 5:11-13; Romans 6:23; Revelation 20:15)
• Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is co-equal with the Father. Jesus lived a sinless human life and offered Himself as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all men by dying on a cross. He arose from the dead after three days to demonstrate His power over sin and death. He ascended to Heaven’s glory and will return again to earth to reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. (Matthew 1:22-23; Isaiah 9:6; John 1:1-5; 14:10-30; Hebrews 4:14-15; I Corinthians 15:3-4; Romans 1:3-4; Acts 1:9-11; I Timothy 6:14-15; Titus 2:13)
• Salvation is a gift from God to man. Man can never make up for his sin by self-improvement or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God’s offer of forgiveness can man be saved from sin’s penalty. Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his life by faith. (Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-9; John 1:12, 14:6; Titus 3:5; Galatians 3:26; Romans 5:1)
• Because God gives man eternal life through Jesus Christ, the believer is secure in that salvation for eternity. Salvation is maintained by the grace and power of God, not by the self-effort of the Christian. It is the grace and keeping power of God that gives this security. (John 10:29; II Timothy 1:12; Hebrews 7:25; 10:10-14; I Peter 1:3-5)
• The Holy Spirit is equal with the Father and the Son as God. He is present in the world to make men aware of their need for Jesus Christ. He also lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation. He provides the Christian with power for living, understanding of spiritual truth, and guidance in doing what is right. The Christian seeks to live under His control daily. (II Corinthians 3:17; John 16:7-13; 14:16-17; Acts 1:8; I Corinthians 2:12; 3:16; Ephesians 1:13; Galatians 5:25; Ephesians 5:18)
• The Bible is God’s Word to all men. It was written by human authors under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and living. Because it is inspired by God, it is truth without any mixture of error. (II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:20-21; II Timothy 1:13; Psalm 119:105,160; 12:6; Proverbs 30:5)
• A New Testament church is an autonomous local congregation of baptized believers, associated by covenant in the faith and fellowship of the gospel; exercising the gifts, rights, and privileges invested in them by the Bible, and seeking to extend the gospel to the ends of the earth. (Matthew 16:15-19; 28:18 20; Acts 2:41-42,47; Ephesians 3:8-11,21; Colossians 1:18; 1 Peter 5:1-4)
• God has ordained the family as the foundational institution of human society. Marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman in covenant commitment for a lifetime. It is God’s unique gift to reveal the union between Christ and His church and to provide for the man and the woman in marriage the framework for intimate companionship, the channel of sexual expression according to biblical standards, and the means for procreation of the human race. Children, from the moment of conception, are a blessing and heritage from the Lord. Parents are to teach their children spiritual and moral values and to lead them to make choices based on biblical truth. Children are to honor and obey their parents. (Genesis 2:18-25; Exodus 20:12; Deuteronomy 6:4-9; Psalm 139:13-16; Proverbs 22:6; Matthew 5:31-32; 19:3-9; Romans 1:18-32; 1 Corinthians 7:1-16; Ephesians 5:21-33; Colossians 3:18-21)
Meet Our Staff
Roger and his wife Julee have been at West University Baptist since 1997. They have two boys, Brady Jackson and Cooper Grayson, and one daughter Carson Claire, who are the joy of their lives. Roger received his doctorate degree (Doctor of Ministry) from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, his Master's of Divinity from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1998 and his Bachelor of Arts in Christianity and Speech from Houston Baptist University in 1995. Roger began his time here as the Minister to Students in 1997, and then in 1999 was named Associate Pastor. That role had many responsibilities, including staff and facility administration, strategic planning, construction management, and preaching/teaching. In May of 2009, Roger accepted the call to become the next Senior Pastor of West U Baptist and Crosspoint Church. He loves playing basketball and golf, but most of all he loves spending time with his family.
Click here to view our full staff.
Each year, the church provides opportunities for members to participate in stateside and international mission trips. For more information on any of these trips you can e-mail the missions office.
To register for a mission trip, click here (you may need to create an account before filling it out).
January 18-24 (Cost: $1400)
Members of the team will help lead breakout sessions for the Latvia secular school teacher’s Bible conference in Riga, perform a concert in Vecmilgravis Cultural Center as well as other activities.
March 11-28 (Cost: $1050)
Exclusively for college students, this trip will focus on children’s ministry, construction and evangelism.
May 10-17 (Cost: $1400)
Reaching out to build strong families, the team will help with discipleship and counseling in family events, women's shelters/prisons and orphanages.
China --> REGISTRATION CLOSED
July (Cost: $1500)
This three-week trip is an opportunity to teach local high school students English, American culture and biblical truths. Prospective teachers will be interviewed, and training will be provided.
Latvia --> REGISTRATION CLOSED
July 14-24 (Cost: $1400)
To assist the only evangelical church in the city of Vecmilgravis, the team will reach out to local children through VBS, arts and crafts, sports, drama and music.
Dominican Republic --> REGISTRATION CLOSED
July 15-22 (Cost: $800)
With a family friendly environment, this trip is tailored to the interests, gifts, ages and skills of the team members. This trip helps families serve together.
July 22-29 (Cost: $950)
An assortment of skills and expertise is needed to minister to a local community through VBS, women’s and men’s ministry and a medical team.
Kenya --> REGISTRATION CLOSED
September 14-23 (Cost: $1500)
Solar panel placement, ministry to children and medical team to the Maasai, sewing ministry in Kibera, leadership training to pastors in Nairobi and women’s ministry are some of the activities this trip will accomplish.
November TBD (Cost: $700)
With a variety of needs, this trip will emphasize evangelism, discipleship, leadership training and family/marriage counseling.