- Worship times
- Map and directions
- What to expect
- For your kids
- What we believe
- Meet our staff
We offer a contemporary service at 9:30am and a traditional one at 11am. Bible Study also takes places during those hours.
We also have a Chinese speaking service (West U Chinese Church) at 10:50am and a bi-lingual service at our Crosspoint Campus at 1:30pm (Iglesia Crosspoint.)
Getting to West U
We're located in the heart of West U, one block north of University Blvd. and West U city hall, and just across Auden Street from the baseball fields and West U Elementary, at 6218 Auden St, Houston TX, 77005.
For Your Kids
KidRally is a special kid-friendly worship time at 9:30. For parents who attend the Encounter Worship Service at 9:30. There is always a great combination of kid-style music, fun, and teaching from God's Word. (Nursery care is provided for younger children.)
Kid's Bible Study is offered every Sunday morning at 11:00.
Child Care for children ages birth through 3 years is provided during all Sunday morning programming. Even very young children can learn that Jesus loves them, so an age-appropriate teaching curriculum is offered during Sunday School.
KidStuff is our Children's Ministry. Click here for more information.
What We Believe
• God is the Creator and Ruler of the universe. He has eternally existed in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are co-equal and are one God. (Genesis 1:1,26,27; Psalm 90:2; Matthew 28:19; I Peter 1:2; II Corinthians 13:14)
• Man is made in the spiritual image of God, to be like Him in character. He is the supreme object of God’s creation. Although man has tremendous potential for good, he is marred by an attitude of disobedience toward God called “sin.” This attitude separates man from God. (Genesis 1:27; Psalm 8:3-6; Isaiah 53:6a, 59:1 2; Romans 3:23)
• Man was created to exist forever. He will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or in union with God, through forgiveness and salvation. To be eternally separated from God is Hell. To be eternally in union with Him is eternal life. Heaven and Hell are places of eternal existence. (John 3:16; I John 2:25; 5:11-13; Romans 6:23; Revelation 20:15)
• Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is co-equal with the Father. Jesus lived a sinless human life and offered Himself as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all men by dying on a cross. He arose from the dead after three days to demonstrate His power over sin and death. He ascended to Heaven’s glory and will return again to earth to reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. (Matthew 1:22-23; Isaiah 9:6; John 1:1-5; 14:10-30; Hebrews 4:14-15; I Corinthians 15:3-4; Romans 1:3-4; Acts 1:9-11; I Timothy 6:14-15; Titus 2:13)
• Salvation is a gift from God to man. Man can never make up for his sin by self-improvement or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God’s offer of forgiveness can man be saved from sin’s penalty. Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his life by faith. (Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-9; John 1:12, 14:6; Titus 3:5; Galatians 3:26; Romans 5:1)
• Because God gives man eternal life through Jesus Christ, the believer is secure in that salvation for eternity. Salvation is maintained by the grace and power of God, not by the self-effort of the Christian. It is the grace and keeping power of God that gives this security. (John 10:29; II Timothy 1:12; Hebrews 7:25; 10:10-14; I Peter 1:3-5)
• The Holy Spirit is equal with the Father and the Son as God. He is present in the world to make men aware of their need for Jesus Christ. He also lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation. He provides the Christian with power for living, understanding of spiritual truth, and guidance in doing what is right. The Christian seeks to live under His control daily. (II Corinthians 3:17; John 16:7-13; 14:16-17; Acts 1:8; I Corinthians 2:12; 3:16; Ephesians 1:13; Galatians 5:25; Ephesians 5:18)
• The Bible is God’s Word to all men. It was written by human authors under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and living. Because it is inspired by God, it is truth without any mixture of error. (II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:20-21; II Timothy 1:13; Psalm 119:105,160; 12:6; Proverbs 30:5)
• A New Testament church is an autonomous local congregation of baptized believers, associated by covenant in the faith and fellowship of the gospel; exercising the gifts, rights, and privileges invested in them by the Bible, and seeking to extend the gospel to the ends of the earth. (Matthew 16:15-19; 28:18 20; Acts 2:41-42,47; Ephesians 3:8-11,21; Colossians 1:18; 1 Peter 5:1-4)
• God has ordained the family as the foundational institution of human society. Marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman in covenant commitment for a lifetime. It is God’s unique gift to reveal the union between Christ and His church and to provide for the man and the woman in marriage the framework for intimate companionship, the channel of sexual expression according to biblical standards, and the means for procreation of the human race. Children, from the moment of conception, are a blessing and heritage from the Lord. Parents are to teach their children spiritual and moral values and to lead them to make choices based on biblical truth. Children are to honor and obey their parents. (Genesis 2:18-25; Exodus 20:12; Deuteronomy 6:4-9; Psalm 139:13-16; Proverbs 22:6; Matthew 5:31-32; 19:3-9; Romans 1:18-32; 1 Corinthians 7:1-16; Ephesians 5:21-33; Colossians 3:18-21)
Meet Our Staff
Roger and his wife Julee have been at West University Baptist since 1997. They have two boys, Brady Jackson and Cooper Grayson, and one daughter Carson Claire, who are the joy of their lives. Roger received his doctorate degree (Doctor of Ministry) from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, his Master's of Divinity from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1998 and his Bachelor of Arts in Christianity and Speech from Houston Baptist University in 1995. Roger began his time here as the Minister to Students in 1997, and then in 1999 was named Associate Pastor. That role had many responsibilities, including staff and facility administration, strategic planning, construction management, and preaching/teaching. In May of 2009, Roger accepted the call to become the next Senior Pastor of West U Baptist and Crosspoint Church. He loves playing basketball and golf, but most of all he loves spending time with his family.
Click here to view our full staff.
From September to May during the school year, Wednesday nights are the second "gathering" time for our congregation. It starts with a family dinner from 5-6 pm, which is a great chance for fellowship and to let someone else do the cooking for a night! After that, we offer KidChoirs (ages 0-5th grade), Awana (3yrs old through 5th grade), Trek for 5th graders, Ignite for our 6th-12th graders, several music options for adults, Pastor's Prayer Gathering and ESL classes.
Served 5 pm-6 pm
Our Wednesday night supper has a different look this year, as Alonti Catering Kitchen will be catering our meals. We trust that you will enjoy what Alonti brings to us.
Please note our new pricing:
$7.00 per adult meal
$4.00 per child meal (you only have to pay for up to the first 2 children)
Great news! You will have the opportunity to pay online each week through this link:
Wednesday Supper Reservation
Pastors Prayer Gathering is a time every Wednesday evening for prayer and teaching led by our Senior Pastor, Roger Patterson. We meet in the West U Chapel at 6pm on Wednesday evenings. Every First Wednesday of the month we will have special Healing Prayer Service. You are welcome to join us any time! Contact Kristie Yit with any questions or prayer needs.
Healing Prayer Service: Every first Wednesday of the month, at 6pm in the West U Sanctuary, we will have a special Healing Prayer Service during our regularly scheduled Pastor's Prayer Gathering. Led by Senior Pastor Roger Pastor or our Missions Pastor, Chuck Oak, this is a great time of prayer, testimonies, the Lord's Supper and worship.
International Friendship; English as a Second Language (ESL) Classes are held from 6 – 8 pm on the 3rd floor at West U. These free classes for all skill levels meet during the school year. Students can join a class at any time. Click here for more information.
Adult Sanctuary Choir is a great place of music and fellowship for college-age through adults. This ensemble is directed by Roger Sharp and they lead music weekly in the 11am traditional service at WUBC. Rehearsals are on Wednesdays from 6:30pm to 7:45pm. Rehearsals take place in the Barner Music Suite (3rd floor—3L). No audition necessary.
Kid's Choirs meet for rehearsal on Wednesday nights during the school year, and perform at various times throughout the year on Sunday mornings and for special events. Listed below you will find the Wednesday night rehearsal schedule. Please see our Awana page under ministries, KidStuff to register online.
Eighth Notes: 24-35 months | 5:45-6:15 pm | Room 127
Quarter Notes: 3 year olds | 5:45-6:25 pm | Room 138
Half Notes: 4 years & Kindergarten | 5:45-6:25 pm | Room 121
Music Makers: 1st & 2nd Grade | 5:45-6:25 pm | Room 208
Young Musicians: 3rd-5th Grade | 5:30-6:25 pm | Music Suite on 3L
Awana stands for approved workers are not ashamed. Awana meets immediately after Kid's Choirs on Wednesday evenings from 6:30 to 7:30pm (preschool 3's & 4's end at 7:20), during the school year. The Awana program is a scripture memorization program and lots of fun games. The Awana "experience" is like no other! You have to be there to discover how much fun the kids have each Wednesday night as they focus on the Word of God! Kids can join any time during the school year (on space available basis). The leader to child ratio is 3 to 1, so space is limited to the number of volunteers we have. Prayerfully consider where God might have you serve in the Awana program this year. Please see our AWANA page under ministries, KidStuff to register online. If you have questions, contact KidStuff Ministry.
Trek is for 5th graders. Join us on Wednesday nights for fun, games, worship and Bible Study. We want to “pull” 5th graders towards Christ and develop a deeper understanding of what it means to be grounded in God’s Word. Trek meets during the school year in Room 302 at the West U Campus from 6:30-7:30pm. All 5th graders and their friends are invited.
Ignite is for our 6th-12th grade students. It is a time of small groups Bible study for our teenagers from 6-7:30pm and takes place at our Crosspoint Campus. We have open gym at 5:30, dinner at 6 and then Bible study at 6:30. For more information check our Launch Students website.